View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:16 pm
Click button to go to the T2S Template Shop where you can purchase Rich's proven and tested designs.

Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
my 1st hws 6-8 retro fish 
sage

Unread post my 1st hws 6-8 retro fish
Staying with my mom during her recuperation from a recent hospital visit, I've been doing some work on her house in Los Angeles (the house I grew up in). And while there, I renewed my friendship with a couple of brothers I was best friends with as kids. We used to run together, and in high school we used to surf together.

In my younger days, I was probably more into it than they were. But life intervened, and I quit years ago, whereas they stayed with it. So one day they said Hey, let's go surfing. But I told them, I haven't been on a surfboard in 23 years. So one day they said, That's gonna change today. They loaded up boards, wetsuits, and we headed out to Malibu.

I paddled out, and was totally out of shape, and totally Forrest Gumped out, but I did actually stand up. So a week later, we went again. And this time, I not only stood up, but I caught a couple of pretty good waves.

We went for the third time in 3 weeks. Leo Carrillo State Beach. I caught several pretty good waves (but small), even hit a few good turns, and did not feel winded or out of shape. Was amazed that after 20 years plus, I could still surf!

Stoked, I bought a new board (retro fish) and my wife found a spring suit wetsuit at a yardsale for $10 - so I loaded up and headed to the beach (Ventura). Paddled out into some head high surf, and immediately my legs cramped up so bad I could hardly move. Extremely painful. I finally got out without catching one wave, and my legs were so sore I could hardly walk for days.

So I'm into training, working out, losing weight, saving for a full wetsuit, and now, making a hollow wooden surfboard. This one will be 6'8", based on the retro fish I bought. I used to ride a 5'11" fish, when they were still considered innovative. Now I laugh to see they've caught on, and have attained the status of "retro" - hahahaha. Like me.

When I was younger I used to always say, I'll be surfing when I'm 50 (I was really into it for 15 years). Maybe it didn't happen that way, but I'm 54 this year, and still enjoying the surf.

Last edited by Huck on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:28 am
Report this post
sage

Unread post Re: my 1st hws, 6-8 retro fish, rails first
Here is the board I'm using as the basis for my hws.

Attachments:
retro fish.jpg
retro fish.jpg [ 66.89 KiB | Viewed 2697 times ]
Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:31 am
Report this post
sage

I marked and cut the bottom. But it was tough holding the jigsaw at exactly 90 degrees while negotiating the curve of the rail, so I used bondo to clean it up in a couple of low spots. I paint some PU resin first, then when it sets, smear some bondo on, and sand. This will all be covered, but it needs to be smooth.

Last edited by Huck on Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:54 am
Report this post
sage

My wood board will be 2" shorter, otherwise pretty close to the same.

Last edited by Huck on Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:57 am
Report this post
sage

the tail end

Last edited by Huck on Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:58 am
Report this post
sage

I think the rocker is a bit much, but I can't really form any opinions until I get my "sea legs" back a little more. But the fish I used to ride didn't have much rocker, and I really liked it. Anyway, I just wanted to build this to get going. Once I figure out what I'm doing, I'll build more (hopefully).

Last edited by Huck on Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:02 am
Report this post
sage

Off to a great start there - you obviously have some woodworking skills already :) How are you planning to support the deck?

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:04 am
Report this post
sage

Hey huck
always good to see anther builder join the forum. Nice, solid looking method of building, interested to see how you do the rest of the board.

Josh

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:04 am
Report this post
sage

thanks - I'm figuring this out as I go, so I'll post pics as it progresses. I have more questions than answers right now! the deck will have to be supported by ribs of some kind, just haven't worked that out completely.

I am a carpenter, remodeling contractor, and one broke dude right now (work has been s-l-o-w!!). I'll be trying to cut costs and use whatever I already have as much as possible. I'm a complete novice here, relying on you guys for help. Not a whole lot of what I know transfers over to surfboard building. Plumb level and square - hah! And I've never shaped or glassed a board before.

Last edited by Huck on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:08 am
Report this post
sage

interesting method - flat or crowned deck?

Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:07 pm
Report this post
Reply to topic   [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next