View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:21 pm
Click button to go to the T2S Template Shop where you can purchase Rich's proven and tested designs.

Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
my 1st hws 6-8 retro fish 
sage

Unread post Re: my 1st hws 6-8 retro fish
The board's looking awesome Huck, I really love the colours coming out of the deck. It's also nice to see a few resin drips on the floor, although it's still nowhere near the volume of resin I waste! :lol:

As for the resin not "kicking", I kind of know what you mean, except that I've found that the Kinetix epoxy does have a point where it rapidly goes rubbery. It's definitely more apparent on a hot day though.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:51 pm
Report this post
sage

Thanks all for the comments. Tonight I've been wetsanding after the resin finally set up enough (12 hours later!), and I've broken out in an itch all over my neck. Now, maybe its just a coincidence. Mind you, I said wetsanding - no dust. I sure hope its not any kind of allergy to System 3 resin. But if it continues to happen, I'm gonna have to try a different brand, or go back to polyester resin!

Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:38 am
Report this post
sage

Huck,
Looking sweet with the resin on!
That pattern you made is incredible.

Regarding the itch, I've heard of people having allergic reactions to epoxy but usually in its uncured state. Once it cures I thought it was supposed to be inert. I could be wrong though.

I know what you mean about the smell of PU resin.
I avoid it now but it reminds me of my old motor head days when I would spend endless hours slathering gallons of Bondo on my old '68 camaro and then shaving and sanding it all off again in search of that perfect finish. Of course I was more than a bit delusional trying to make a rust bucket look like a show car but I was never happier!
When I catch a wiff of that PU it brings me back...

Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:02 am
Report this post
sage

Squalyboy wrote:
Huck, Looking sweet with the resin on! Regarding the itch, I've heard of people having allergic reactions to epoxy but usually in its uncured state. Once it cures I thought it was supposed to be inert. I could be wrong though.

Thanks! Hopefully you're right. It could just be me working up a lather right after shaving - coupled with paranoia from reading System 3's precautionary literature! I'll know soon enough, because I really want to get this finished this week!

Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:40 am
Report this post
sage

RR epoxy smells faintly of almonds - polyester's OK but it kind of sticks to the teeth - had a few poly probs in the past so will stick to RR for now - might even try an epoxy lam coat then the rest in poly to keep the cost down at some point

board looks immense huck - bravo!

Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:02 pm
Report this post
sage

You also don't need to wear a mask when using epoxy.

Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:44 am
Report this post
sage

wow :shock: Huck that resin job really brought the colour out of the wood mate. Looks freak-en sweet.

Now the only problem with being nearly done is that you'll start to feel like its not enaugh, so you'll start another biuld, and another, but you just cant seem to get rid of the craving. :lol:

Gromm

Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:38 pm
Report this post
sage

Hi Huck,
I've been very intrigued with your approach to making boards since you first joined this forum. I've been working with redwood (non hollow) and find your approach well suited to redwood, as redwood doesn't like to bend, and this minimizes the stress on the rails.
Is it my imagination, or are some of the original pictures missing from this thread? Is it possible to restore them, as I think this thread is awesome? Thank your for the video of your 2nd build, of how you cut the rails to match the internal frame. it was very insightful.
I have one request, on your next Bahrman Rail build, could you also document how you laminate the rails (i.e. the step(s) before your posted video of cutting the rails). I am interested in things like:
How wide the rail frame should be (birds eye view of the board, looking just at the frame's rail)?
Approaches to minimize wood waste?
How you approach the rocker when laminating the rail

Thanks for posting and sharing you method, you rock.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:19 pm
Report this post
sage

thanks for the vote of confidence, I will try to address all your questions.

the complete pics for this build, start to finish, may be found here http://eyemagination.smugmug.com/Craftsmanship/homebuilt-surfboards/hollow-wooden-surfboard/10118158_6wPHf#695193942_KhXxp

all my "bahrman rails" have been redwood

this is how the rails are laminated prior to shaping

The rail frame is cut very close to the template outline desired, maybe 1/16" or so oversize. The rails are shaped, but the plan shape is built rather than shaped.

To minimize waste, you could laminate 3/4" thick stock, or less, rather than 1 1/2" stock, as I do. Or go to the new tree-to-sea forum (http://treetosea.org/pg/dashboard/), and look up Torres Webbed Rail Technique, for a similar system that uses minimal amounts of wood. I don't worry much about the waste in my system, since it really doesn't utilize a lot of wood to begin with, and most of my leftover scraps I'm able to use for one thing or another.

Also, in my business as a remodeler, I have access to large amounts of "waste" wood, it would break your heart (I know it breaks mine) to see the amount of good wood that ends up in a landfill, so often the wood I am using is already being salvaged, and I generally have more than I can use. Sometimes I will buy wood to build surfboards, if I find some particularly light stuff, at a good price. But more often than not my boards are built with salvaged wood.

The rocker is pre-determined before beginning to build the rails. I correlate points every 5" along the rocker (stringer) with the same points on the template, to determine the rocker coordinates along the rails.

I can explain this more in depth if you'd like, you're welcome to email me at doghousereilley@yahoo.com and we can pursue the subject in as much depth as you'd like. Its a little tricky to explain, but very simple once you grasp it.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:11 pm
Report this post
sage

After all this time, nearly 7 years, I finally got a couple guys to try riding this board. The prejudice agains HWS is strong, no one I knew would even give it a paddle out. Until yesterday, 2 guys tried this board (6-8 fish) and both of them loved it! Waves were small and uncrowded, and they both got some good long rides. I'm stoked that someone finally tried one of my wood boards, and liked it!

Attachments:
image.jpg [367.83 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:07 pm
Report this post
Reply to topic   [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next