View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:53 am
Click button to go to the T2S Template Shop where you can purchase Rich's proven and tested designs.

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
6'7" Driftwood from Wooden Surfboard Supply Company 
sage

Unread post 6'7" Driftwood from Wooden Surfboard Supply Company
I made this board a while ago and didn't think I would bore you with another building process. Well here is the completed shaped board waiting for glassing. The board beside it one of my favorite boards and I thought I would try to copy it somewhat. There are so many mistakes on this board I'm really not happy with my wood work but I have a few ideas to cover them up.

If you ever here someone say the best wood worker is the one that can cover his mistakes the best. This doesn't make me a good woodworker but hey I'm working on it. The shaping comes a lot easier for me that is for sure. please don't point out the mistakes, I know where they are...hehe...

One thing I wanted in this board was try and get better rails, so I put four layers of 4mm strips instead of what I have normally done and only put down 3. 4 layers has given me much more room to shape the rail much more like a regular board and I'm frothing to get this shape in the water.

The main thing about building this board is I proved to myself how much you can change the frame shapes you can buy from the wooden Surfboard Supply Company. This board wasn't designed to look like this, I cut heaps off either side of the nose, reshaped the tail the way I wanted and did the rail a bit different. All up a total success!!!

The tail pretty much has the same radial tail curves as the Byrning Spears board lying beside it even it might not look like in the photo's. And it isn't as fat as it looks in the nose in the photo's ... must be the sick wide angle that is on my girls camera... trust me it looks more like the board beside it that the photo's represent.

If you have questions or thoughts I am more than interested in what you might have to say, so don't hesitate.

Justo

Attachments:
dritfwood 1.jpg [89.3 KiB]
Downloaded 501 times
dritfwood 2.jpg [92.86 KiB]
Downloaded 501 times
dritfwood 3.jpg [57.2 KiB]
Downloaded 501 times
dritfwood 4.jpg [75.03 KiB]
Downloaded 501 times
dritfwood 5.jpg [70.43 KiB]
Downloaded 501 times
dritfwood 6.jpg [62.06 KiB]
Downloaded 501 times
dritfwood 7.jpg [65.87 KiB]
Downloaded 501 times

Say Gidday to ya Mom for Me!!!

Check out!!!

www.liquidlifestyles.com.au

www.woodsurfboardsupply.com/
Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:32 am
Report this post
Profile WWW
sage

Unread post Re: 6'7" Driftwood from Wooden Surfboard Supply Company
more...

Attachments:
dritfwood 8.jpg [59.42 KiB]
Downloaded 500 times
dritfwood 9.jpg [48.04 KiB]
Downloaded 500 times
dritfwood 10.jpg [79.92 KiB]
Downloaded 500 times
dritfwood 11.jpg [72.09 KiB]
Downloaded 500 times
dritfwood 12.jpg [59.56 KiB]
Downloaded 500 times
dritfwood 13.jpg [86.54 KiB]
Downloaded 500 times
dritfwood 14.jpg [96.51 KiB]
Downloaded 500 times

Check out!!!

Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:34 am
Report this post
Profile WWW
sage

more...

Attachments:
dritfwood 15.jpg [84.19 KiB]
Downloaded 499 times
dritfwood 16.jpg [59.92 KiB]
Downloaded 499 times
dritfwood 17.jpg [102.39 KiB]
Downloaded 499 times
dritfwood 18.jpg [56.19 KiB]
Downloaded 499 times
dritfwood 19.jpg [159.49 KiB]
Downloaded 499 times
dritfwood 20.jpg [106.39 KiB]
Downloaded 499 times
dritfwood 21.jpg [95.82 KiB]
Downloaded 499 times

Check out!!!

Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:50 am
Report this post
Profile WWW
sage

more...

Attachments:
dritfwood 22.jpg [54.27 KiB]
Downloaded 499 times
dritfwood 23.jpg [42.49 KiB]
Downloaded 499 times
dritfwood 24.jpg [73.49 KiB]
Downloaded 499 times

Check out!!!

Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:52 am
Report this post
Profile WWW
sage

Justo,
I think this a fine board. We all see our own mistakes much more quickly than others do- and that's probably a good thing. You want perfection and each board takes you a little closer to reaching your goal. It's a learning process that never ends. I think your shape, wood selection and rails are very good. Looks like a very rideable board. It's way better than my first attempt. Keep on building-stop apologising and make them find your mistakes- I'll bet you they can't.
Ray Maltby

Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:50 pm
Report this post
sage

Looks lovely Justin, infact i prefer it to the other board. It looks real classy,nice simple use of timber accents,less is more. For a first board i think most people would be pleased. Keep up the good work

Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:22 pm
Report this post
sage

Hi Everyone,
Have been looking at the tail and might do some more shaping mainly rail oriented. I think they need to be sharper for better water release especially on the tail.

And it will be going to the glasser this week....keep you all posted.

I'm very interested how this board will perform and I hope some of you are too??

Justo

Check out!!!

Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:29 am
Report this post
Profile WWW
sage

justinrasta wrote:
Hi Everyone, Have been looking at the tail and might do some more shaping mainly rail oriented. I think they need to be sharper for better water release especially on the tail. And it will be going to the glasser this week....keep you all posted. I'm very interested how this board will perform and I hope some of you are too??
Justo

Justin - Awesome board!

Your hardest edge on the rails is done when glassing (hot coating), as fiberglass doesn't really like hard corners. Tape off a little dam along the edge of the tail, and fill it with resin, then shape that final "corner" on the rails from resin. Your glasser will know, just tell him what you want.

Love to hear a ride report, esp. if you are bit of a ripper, which I suspect. I'm so sick of people who think any wood board over 6 lbs. is just a wall-hanger.

(I do it from the other side than shown in the pic, but this was my first board. You get the idea, anyway.)

Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:39 am
Report this post
sage

Hey Huck you are a legend, from what Jack tells me and from what I see...

I'm going to glass this as light as I can, I'm thinking 2 ounce glass all over.

If anyone has gone as low as 2 ounce I would love to here about how it went.

I love my woodies but I('m off to the Goldie to see Darcy for a new short board) and man I'm stoked, sorry to say but the woodies just don't have the rip in them yet. That is why I'm trying lighter glass.

If anyone needs help on glassing I would be asking the Huck!!!

Justo

Check out!!!

Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:18 am
Report this post
Profile WWW
sage

Well then my reputation exceeds me, I'm no glasser. Just wanted to clarify that hard square edges in the tail are usually accomplished while glassing, not while shaping.

As far as glass - I don't see why 2 oz. wouldn't work, if your structure is adequate (i.e. not relying on the glass for structural strength). Some builders here don't use glass at all. I don't think the weight savings from 4 oz. to 2 oz. would be all that significant, 'tho. I had some delam on one board, and cut some 4 oz. glass cloth off - I was amazed at how thin and light it actuallly is. Like paper (but much stronger of course).
Quote:
sorry to say but the woodies just don't have the rip in them yet

I'd love to hear what you find to be the drawbacks of riding a wood surfboard (weight wise), and are your wood boards mainly wall-hangers then, or do you ride them much?

Right now my current favorite board in 4-6' waves is my 17 lb. 7'6" bonzer - the weight doesn't seem to detract from performance for me, but I'm 55 and not a young ripper. I'd like a lighter board, but I'm not fanatical about weight. Curious why so many are. My main criteria are that I want a board that's comfortable to carry, and won't injure, maim, or kill just because its so heavy!

I know its been discussed here and on swaylocks before, but I never seem to get a straight logical answer. Mostly it just deteriorates into everyone falling into entrenched battle positions, and lobbing salvos back and forth. I hear stuff like 'that's what the pros ride' and 'lighter boards make sections better', but honestly, that doesn't convince me.

At times I start to think the common obsession with 6 lbs. or under being mandatory for a performance shortboard borders on superstition. That's why I made my comment in your thread - your board clearly looks to me like a performance shortboard, but being hws, I'm guessing the weight will be greater.

I don't care what Kelly Slater or Bruce Irons ride in 10' Indo, they're far removed the type of waves and surfing that I'm involved in. And momentum is a big factor in making sections, so I don't see how lighter is so much better there. I think the pros ride light, expendable chips because thats what the surfboard manufacturers are selling/promoting. I personally think those guys would rip on a hws!

Anyway, maybe you could enlighten me.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:33 am
Report this post
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next