View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:11 pm
Click button to go to the T2S Template Shop where you can purchase Rich's proven and tested designs.

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Telefish's Fish - 6'4" Striper 
sage

Unread post Telefish's Fish - 6'4" Striper
Back at it with one of Rich's 6'4" Striper (Rocket) Fish. Maybe I won't give this one away. Standard build so far. Wood is western red cedar. Bead and cove rails. I have the rails, nose and tail ready for the deck. Next up is fin positioning, vent, and some deck details.

Full photo album is available at:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mountainwhimsy/2011_Striper_Fish?authkey=Gv1sRgCMyMlI6Dxca3yQE#

-T

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:02 am
Report this post
sage

Unread post Re: Telefish's Fish - 6'4" Striper
Progress on the fin placement. I'm using FCS keel fins which have a nice wood core, so they will look great on the board. The info sheet for the board is pretty cryptic on the fin placement. I did a bunch of reading and playing around to see what others have done, and what looks right. I settled on putting the trailing edge of the fin 9" up from the tip of the tail wings, 1 1/8" from the rail edge, with 1/4" of toe in. I'll put about 2-3 degrees of cant in them when I set the FCS plugs. But for now I needed to know where to put the internal blocks before putting the deck on.

-T

Hot glue helps for temporary mounting and visualizing.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:11 am
Report this post
sage

That looks really lovely. I especially like the colour of the fins- very nice!

Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:18 am
Report this post
sage

More progress on the deck details. I created a figure in Adobe Illustrator with the double wave design. I'm using an inlay bit set for my router that has a 3/16" offset, so I added that distance as a buffer to my graphic. I printed it out and glued it to my template material, then cut it out and cleaned it up.

Next up, I glued up the first two deck planks and double sided tape to hold the template to the deck. The inlay bit set uses a second bushing on the router guide to cut out the recess in the deck.

I did a test run with some scrap wood to make sure I had things right.

Finally, I cut the inlay piece out of a nice plank of walnut. The inlay needed a little bit of trimming and sanding to fit, but the result is pretty nice. The contrast is just what I was after.

I should get the decking on the board this weekend. The the fun part of final shaping.

-T

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:45 pm
Report this post
sage

Very nice - the inlay process confuses me, but it sure looks good. Looks like its gonna be a fun board to ride, too. At my age and condition, 6'4" is pushing the limit of how small I can ride anymore, but I'm sure that in the right conditions I'd have a blast on it!

Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:23 am
Report this post
sage

Here's the latest. The deck is on and most of the rough shaping is complete. Next up is the vent.

-Tony

Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:10 pm
Report this post
sage

looks wicked , and like you say a great contrast on the inlay which was obviously a lot of work & extremely well done too . Its a pleasure to see such quality craftsmanship

Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:08 am
Report this post
sage

Beautiful board Telefish, love the inlay!

Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:35 pm
Report this post
sage

Thanks guys. I'm having fun with the inlay. Now that I have it figured out, I'm full of ideas for future projects. I just created a template for my logo and was able to create the inlay and get it installed in about an hour. Good stuff. I'll try and get some shots up in the next couple of days. Busy week, though. I also got the vent installed and should have that cleaned up in the next couple of days. Finaly shaping, then glass. Love this phase of the build. Things happen fast.

-T

Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:38 pm
Report this post
minimum wage

Holy Cow, you are one of the most talented builders on this site. Good on ya. I love that inlay. I have to master the technique of doing it, I have a design in mind my daughter draws all the time. After seeing a few of your boards, no more Home Depot cedar for me. I'm going after some good stuff.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:56 pm
Report this post
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next