View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:25 pm
Click button to go to the T2S Template Shop where you can purchase Rich's proven and tested designs.

Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
"el wave-o loco" 
sage

Unread post Re: "el wave-o loco"
thanks all - duhn, I did that too, the rust and vinegar coctail. I tried a lot of things. I sprayed it with hydrogen peroxide. I sprayed it with bleach. I threw blobs of cement on the board. I threw blobs of stucco on the board. I splattered green paint, I splattered white paint. But with the wood being so weathered to begin with, all the sanding and resin coating, none of it made all that much difference.

But I used old brittle weathered fence boards for the skins. The grain was really etched deeply into the surface. I mixed resin with cabosil (and I mixed resin with q-cell), and squeegeed the board. I sanded it. I coated the board with resin with white tint, and sanded it. I spray painted the board with white epoxy (just kinda "misted" it, so to speak), and sanded it.

Through all of this, I applied several thin sealer coats of resin, always sanding after each coat.

I don't like really dark boards, because they tend to heat up in the sun. So I want to make sure that the board isn't going to turn dark when I glass it. I wanted it to have a silvery-gray look, like driftwood, or something left in the sun for years. I've been trying to get this look for awhile, this is the closest I've come so far.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:39 pm
Report this post
sage

Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:31 am
Report this post
sage

That's an impressive display of jointery!
What do you call that? splimortijoint? (spline/mortise/fingerjoint)
I would like to see your technique to get the halo on the fin. I've searched posts and malcolm had one but it was so old the pictures were no longer there.

Devin

Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:21 pm
Report this post
sage

Hey Duhn, thanks, the halo was real low-tech simple, I just let the glass run past the edge about one half inch when I glassed the first side, then when it dried I flipped it over and layed a bunch of fiberglass strands (pulled from some scraps) in wet resin around the edge. Did it a couple times until it was filled in good, then I glassed the other side. It was all pretty rough, but sanding took it to shape, then I glassed a couple more layers each side, with sanding in between.

Oh yeah, and the joinery on the fin / stringer connection is probably best described as a saddle joint. Its actually a very simple and strong joint. I use it often when building custom garden gates that are meant to last.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:45 pm
Report this post
sage

Your board is simply fantastic. :shock: Compliments

Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:41 pm
Report this post
sage

rust and vinegar coctail..... better known as " Vinagaroon"... in the leatherpounder's community... acts on the tannic acid in tanned leather ... turns it very black, all the way thru... I use it on gunbelts, motorcycle seats.... leave it long enough and it will look blue.black....

Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:37 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
sage

The gate is a keyboard! Very clever!
The first couple of times looking at the picture I couldn't figure out what inspired you to have only 5 pcs near the top with an uneven spacing.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:56 am
Report this post
sage

Hi Duhn - a slight digression, the crown of the gate's supporting frame is a piece of my client's Steinway concert piano - she had it rebuilt, and handed me the leftover piece, asking if I could incorporate it into the project somehow. Hence, the gate itself took on a musical theme. The music notes were some metal garden art I found on ebay, and cut the base off of each one.

I'm renovating the rest of the project with an ocean theme, and I'm considering building a redwood surfboard to mount over the garage, and giving it the "antique" look I developed with this board. This would be a solid board, not hollow.

BTW, here's the view from the backyard deck

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:29 am
Report this post
sage

Very cool "digression". Huck! :)

Randy

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:44 am
Report this post
sage

Nice work Huck! You are an artist.

WB

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:10 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next