View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:18 pm
Click button to go to the T2S Template Shop where you can purchase Rich's proven and tested designs.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
6'9" single fin 
sage

Unread post 6'9" single fin
Hi everyone, so my first board went so well, that as many of you here have, I have decided to make another!!
I purchased the plans for Rich's 6'9" single fin as i thought it would be a fun build.
(I'm not really into long-boarding and have some shorter boards)

Some general questions I have:
- what fin should I get (i wan't a removable one for traveling)
- sidebites
- with what fin what fin box
- weight saving techniques (my last board i was quite cautious and it got kinda heavy)

Unfortunately I have barely started, I'm waiting for the college term to be over to get a good run at the construction.

thanks in advance, Art

viewtopic.php?t=5984

Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:32 pm
Report this post
beach bum

Unread post Re: 6'9" single fin
Hey Art! Really looking forward to seeing your work again. I heard FUTURES fins are nice, and of course there's FCS. Both are relatively easy to install. Also you could check out http://www.surfinghandbook.com/future-fins.html

As far as weight saving techniques, I'm new to building, but I'm sure someone will answer that soon. Your last build looked really good to me. Looks like you took all the important precautions as far as weight, but I'm no expert.

Justin

Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:13 am
Report this post
sage

If you are doing a single fin you won't need sidebites just the single box. If you have a surf supply in the neighborhood, I would buy what they are selling because they'll have a fin that fits that box. As far as weight goes, if you want a light board, the lightest wood is balsa, as you are probably aware. Paulownia is almost as light as balsa but a bit sturdier. Cedar and redwood are relatively lightweight. My earliest boards were much heavier than the ones I make now. I use a 3 -4 mm paulownia ply for the internal structure, and/or cutting out holes will lighten it a bit. How thick did you make the deck and bottom skins on your first board? Maybe go thinner?

Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:22 am
Report this post
sage

Hey Justin and locallumber,

thanks for the responses, I should have clarified. The question I am really unsure of is what size, type etc. of single fin to get ? (especially for my size board)
I really don't know anything about single fin boards and none of my friends have any..
also i was thinking of installing fcs plugs to have the option side bites .. or even have the thruster option I know someone on here did that (now to find that again..)

Yeah one of the reasons i think my first board was heavier was I used a lot of glue and used wooden fin blocking for the fins.
Might try get some foam for this one for the blocking inside the board.

I did ~6mm deck and bottom skins but i was working with red cedar and will be again .. woods like balsa and paulownia are hard if not impossible to find in Ireland
I use a 6mm marine ply for the frame aswell and cut out holes .. works a treat.

viewtopic.php?t=5984

Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:44 am
Report this post
sage

https://www.gearbox.surf/ is a real nice glass in finbox system with a well thought out jig system. Robin Mair is also very generous with info and help with fin choices.

Randy
clearwoodpaddleboards.com

Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:42 pm
Report this post
sage

Hi Everyone I will be continuing this post here:

https://www.woodboardforum.com/forum/design/workshop-tool-ideas/3356-6-9-single-fin

viewtopic.php?t=5984

Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:07 pm
Report this post
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]