View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:59 am
Click button to go to the T2S Template Shop where you can purchase Rich's proven and tested designs.

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Raw Paulownia Wood & Alaiablanks for Europe 
sprout

Unread post Re: Raw Paulownia Wood & Alaiablanks for Europe
blue_pig

did u manage to get the seeds going ?
I have some Paulownia Tomentosa seeds here aswell.
Tried it without lightbulps and I guess it s too cold in my room aswell.

We are trying to setup three different plantation sides next spring.

Chris

Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:52 pm
sage

hi chris - yes, got 40 seedlings well underway - started them off in september, the biggest are about 150mm, the smallest 50mm - they'll overwinter indoors then be planted out next spring. the plan is to let half grow and coppice the rest for other projects. they've just been in a propogator tray on a west facing windowsill and germinated after about 10 days.

spoke to stu about your paulownia - the transport kills it from germany, so once you have stock in newquay we'll talk again

mike

Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:05 pm
sage

blue_pig wrote:
interesting comment silverio
in so much as the UK being a "rich" country - maybe, its all relative, the cost of living here is pretty high, so money left at the end of the month after household expenses is not much. I certainly don't feel rich...
must dash, the butler has just informed me that sherry is served in the drawing room, followed by our evening meal of quails in aspic, poached sturgeon, roast swan, followed by ox :lol:

Hey Blue...I have nothing against rich people. In fact I wish everyone could be rich.
You are fortunate not having much money at the end of the month. Here in Portugal not even that is possible any more.
Could you live with €600 per month?
We have electricity more expensive, petrol more expensive, water more expensive, mail more expensive, education more expensive, health more expensive, transportation more expensive, electricity more expensive and goes on and on.
What we have cheap is the sun.

Please don't have doubts that we are a poor country.
I'm not saying we are the worst but we are in that group.

99% of the brits come to Portugal for leasure and turism, 99% of the Portuguese that go to UK are workers...think about it :wink:

As I tried to explained before to Cris (the best I could) was maybe the wood is not expensive taking into consideration all his work...The real problem is we portuguese cannot afford it.
Very simple and nothing to it.
But it's good to know where to buy it in Europe if I ever have money.
At the moment I 'm doing some didgeridoos and I hope to sell someday. The lumberyard owner lets me take all the scrap I need...so I'm greatful to him.
I have a longboard project ready to take off, but I'll have to wait for better days.
First of all I don't surf and then it's hard for me to offer and give the boards to someone after all the work i put into the project...it's like losing part of you.
I just have to focus on real things that puts bread on the table.

You might ask, what am i doing here.
At the moment I feel a fool thinking I have friends around the world and try to enjoy being with people who have the passion in building things with wood.

I can tell you one thing buddy, it's been a struggle to be accepted in this weird circule when your not a surfer. If anyone respects me it's only because I try to do my best with wood.
In surfboard designing, altough I understand the principles and have ideas of my own I avoid exposing them for many reasons.

With Xmas around the corner my wish to you all is to have a lot of health and may you all always have food on your table...those are my wishes.

Silvério

Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:35 pm
sage

"With Xmas around the corner my wish to you all is to have a lot of health and may you all always have food on your table...those are my wishes"

you too buddy :wink:

Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:11 pm
grom

Hi Christian and Silverio,

I would be very interested in some Paulownia Seeds.
I have got access to a derelict backyard on a farm outside Berlin, Germany.
I wonder whether these native trees from China do grow in our cold climate ...
and how heavy the wood turns out to be - if grown in Europe.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

You can contact me at:
mokato@inbox.com

Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:07 am
sage

Maybe its viable to import from Aus ?.....not sure , but worth crunching the numbers. If anyone has a complete list for 1 board , including length , thickness and width , I can work out a comparison price and I don't think the freight charge will be too bad, not sure , but worth the exercise , just for the comparison..... :)

Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:18 am
sage

hey kayu - am planning a conversation with my sister when she's over from NZ to see if she can get hold of some planks then arrange surface shipping to UK..

if you would like to do a comparison then how does 12x 1200x150x30mm sound? pack length affects shipping

Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:08 pm
sage

ok blue pig....so thats 12 pieces @ 1.2m by150mm by 30mm?

Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:32 pm
sage

yep - i reckon something could be fashioned from that - i think that keeping the length down should have an impact on shipping - keeps it within a pallet size. would mean scarfed or diaganol decks also

Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:55 pm
Site Admin

When I get wood shipped to me inside of the US, there is an overall volume and a max length limit. I think the length is 110". So I can typically max out a package shipped by FedEx ground with 6 boards 2"x6"x108". The boards are stacked in 2 columns. So the overall package is around 7"x13"x109" (adding an inch for the cardboard packaging). It is around $100 US to ship something up the the East Coast of US (SC to MA).

Just adding this as a reference, I know you situation is much different. I know once I go over 9' in board length, it needs to freight shipped.

-Mark

Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next