View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:28 pm
Click button to go to the T2S Template Shop where you can purchase Rich's proven and tested designs.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Tree To Sea Surfboard building workshop 
Site Admin

Unread post Tree To Sea Surfboard building workshop
Rich and I (if Rich can make it) are hosting a Tree To Sea Board Building Workshop at my house in Marblehead, MA (USA). It will be on Columbus Day Weekend (October 9-11, 2010). Here is a link to the web page with more details.
http://www.treetosea.org/workshop.html

If anyone is interested in attending or know someone that is, please follow the link and email me.

I will take a bunch of photos and post them here.

-Mark

Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:46 pm
Report this post
Site Admin

Unread post Re: Tree To Sea Surfboard building workshop
We just finished the first Tree To Sea Surfboard Building Workshop at my house. It was beautiful weather and a bunch of great guys and one great girl.

There were a few hiccups: I cut my thumb on my table saw the weekend before and needed nine stitches. That pretty much ended any prep work until the day before the workshop started. So I took Friday off of work and built 7 rocker tables and re-sawed enough wood for top and bottom decking for 7 surfboards. There were 7 different boards being built: 10' Waterlog, 9' Wing, 8'6" Chicken Wing (more about this below), 8' Mini-mal, 6'9" Shingle Fin, 6' Woodchip (Egg), 5'11" Vola (Fish). I think Rich will be posting the templates for the Woodchip and Vola soon. They both look like great shapes.

We had a few issues on Day 1. The biggest bottleneck was everyone getting time on the drill presses to make their weight saving holes. One of the drill presses wasn't cutting the mustard, so everyone had to wait on the other. And Kinko's somehow scaled the templates on 3 of the boards: 10' Waterlog and 2 9' Wings. Luckily Rich had brought most of CNC'd Wing framework, so we were able to recover one since I had another paper template too. One of the workshopees was happy with his new Kinko's scaled down version of the Wing, which is now called the Chicken Wing. I had to go back to Kinko's that night and print out a new Waterlog template and then cut the template before hitting the sack at midnight. Lesson learned: measure the distance between the notches of the stringer on the templates to verify the scale is correct before leaving the print shop (it needs to be 8 inches not 7 3/4). Day 1 was finished, but I still hadn't cut a single rail strip for Day 2.
Most of the frameworks were mounted to the bottom decks by nightfall, so we were on schedule but I was still behind the 8 ball.

Day 2 went a lot better. I got up early and cut a ton of rail strips. The last 2 frameworks were mounted to boards and everyone started to rail up the boards. Some tail block and nose blocks were used and the boards started to take shape. Using the CA glues on the rail strips proved to be more difficult for some. We were following a variation of the Rich's strip and feather technique by not using bead and cove. Just 1/4" by 1/4" strips spaced evenly apart to be later filled with color matching epoxy and sawdust. Day 2 finished with cracking a few desperately needed beers.

Day 3 was the first day I was able to take a deep breath, but we could have used a little bit warmer of a day. The epoxy wasn't going off as quickly as we had hoped. Everyone was back filling the rail strips with epoxy and waiting for it to cure so they could feather down the strips to accept the top deck. We got all the boards decked accept for one. He was called into work and had to leave at lunchtime. The problem was that even though the boards were complete, they were still clamped to the rocker tables and could not be removed until the epoxy set up. So into the garage went all 7 boards (you will get back your garage parking soon honey, I promise).

We unlock most of the boards tonight and everyone starts feathering the deck. Looks like the 3 day workshop is going to take a little longer than 3 days. But I think we can speed things up and get everyone done in 3 days next time.

Here are bunch of photos for you guys to enjoy. I will post pictures of the finished boards as soon as we get there. Also the DailyStoke.com sent out a writer to attend the workshop and interview Rich. When that article goes live, I will update this thread again.

-Mark
Attachment:
photo 1.jpg
photo 1.jpg [ 523.49 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]

Attachment:
photo 2.jpg
photo 2.jpg [ 534.68 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]

Attachment:
photo 3.jpg
photo 3.jpg [ 466.13 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]

Attachment:
photo 4.jpg
photo 4.jpg [ 476.77 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]

Attachment:
day3-1.jpg
day3-1.jpg [ 441.73 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]

Attachment:
day3-2.jpg
day3-2.jpg [ 472.62 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]

Attachment:
day3-3.jpg
day3-3.jpg [ 441.38 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]

Attachment:
day3-4.jpg
day3-4.jpg [ 454.47 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]

Attachment:
day3-5.jpg
day3-5.jpg [ 398.37 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]

Attachment:
day3-6.jpg
day3-6.jpg [ 433.79 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]

Attachment:
day3-7.jpg
day3-7.jpg [ 420.05 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]

Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:01 pm
Report this post
Site Admin

Some boards being picked up tonight. Looking really good!!!

Attachments:
File comment: 5'11" Vola (Flying Fish)
collin_done.jpg [1.15 MiB]
Downloaded 323 times
File comment: 8' Mini-mal
dave_almost.jpg [843.3 KiB]
Downloaded 323 times
File comment: 9' Wing
sarah_almost.jpg [1.05 MiB]
Downloaded 323 times

Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:20 pm
Report this post
sage

That's awesome! Talk about sharing the stoke! Bummer about your finger, hope you get a quick heal and all the feeling back. Wood is good - spread the word.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:14 am
Report this post
Site Admin

I can't believe it, three days from paper template to rough shape! That was an awesome experience folks. I just want to say thanks to all the inmates and especially to Mark for organizing it all. Sorry about the thumb gash and all the milling you had to do on your own. You kicked arse man! I'll be following up with a summary of my thoughts and impressions as soon as I land...

Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:17 am
Report this post
Profile WWW
sage

hey Rich - looking forward to seeing those egg and fish plans in the "donations" section - might just be able to prise myself away from a few notes..!

awesome workshop - great outdoors too, thats some production line for a weekend, you must have all been k-o'd after that

Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:27 pm
Report this post
Site Admin

Hey Blue,

Thanks. I was psyched to see how well those two new designs came out (well, actually, they were old designs tweaked to the specs the builders wanted specifically for this workshop). I'll see what I can do about getting them onto the template page asap.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:18 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
sage

Rich,
Great program! It's great to see the excitement of these builders.
You started out growing trees. Now you are growing new HWS builders.
I hope this new crop of artisans will continue to grow and contribute
back to the Knowledge base. We all have something to give.
Ray Maltby

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:35 pm
Report this post
Site Admin

Hi Ray, Thanks for the comments.
This workshop was all Mark's hard work. I just showed up last minute, talked a bit, and watched the shavings fly. We learned a lot! And regarding giving back, we've got plans on that too. Stay tuned...

Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:59 am
Report this post
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]