View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 7:06 am
Click button to go to the T2S Template Shop where you can purchase Rich's proven and tested designs.

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Bamboo Fish (done)! 
woodbutcher

Unread post Bamboo Fish (done)!
Here is my 6'1" x 21 x 2.5 bamboo fish I made using the rocket fish template but chopping the tail and putting in a half moon since the bamboo only came in 6foot lengths.

I used the 1ply 100% bamboo from plyboo.com. It came 16"x72"x1/4", 2 colors. Saved me a lot of work. Also I didn't glass this one, since I was pretty impressed with the strength of the bamboo. I just put 2-3 layers of thin epoxy on each side. I'm guessing it weighs 12-14 lb.

haven't taken it out yet (it is actually for Sarah, not me, as you can see) but we'll let you know it works when we do.

Oh yeah, and I put a leash on this one since I cracked the nose of my leashless redwood board in Santa Cruz. (it's fixed now!)

Thanks so much to Rich for promoting this thriving online community of HWS junkies like myself. You all rock-- hope to see some of you out in the line up soon!

[img][img]http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/2299/bambooboardtomales035fd6.jpg[/img]
[img][img]http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/8003/bambooboardtomales051wn1.jpg[/img]
[img][img]http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/8150/bambooboardtomales034is8.jpg[/img]
[img][img]http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/4971/bambooboardtomales053tf5.jpg[/img]
[img][img]http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2613/bambooboardtomales042ui4.jpg[/img]
[img][img]http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3873/bambooboardtomales044gp7.jpg[/img]
[img][img]http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/5374/bambooboardtomales047ed2.jpg[/img]
[img][img]http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/1750/bambooboardtomales043sd4.jpg[/img] 8) :lol: :lol:

Tue May 22, 2007 1:58 am
Report this post
sage

Unread post 
Wow! That is beautiful! I'm interested in the fact you only used one ply -- I had thought the 3 ply product was what was needed -- everyone was saying that it needed the grain going both ways... If your board is strong enough, I might switch back to trying out bamboo!

Is there anyway you could post the product number for the Plyboo boards you used? I've gotten confused at the umpteen different ways they describe their product; plywood, veneer, planks, etc.... If I could just copy the exact material you used I'd feel alot more comfortable than guessing from their many choices. I hate to think what this says about me as a person, but hey, it's my first Hollow wood board!

That board is really beautiful, I have to say this forum has really revived my stoke.

Tue May 22, 2007 3:32 am
Report this post
sage

Unread post 
Petaluma -

That is a truly beautiful board you built and relatively light as well. Are the rail strips of bamboo as well? How about the frame?

Judging by your blog name I assume you are from Petaluma. I live just to the north in Santa Rosa. I will be embarking on my first build soon. I purchased a kit from Grain.

After that I have many board ideas I would like to pursue. I really liked your suggestion of using redwood benders. I will likely do that for the first board I do completely myself. Aside from that do you have any tips on where to purchase good materials locally. I assume there must be many places to purchase marine ply, but maybe you have a local favorite for good quality material. I like the bamboo but too bad it only comes in 6' foot lengths. Have you checked out Mount Storm in Windsor? They seem to have a wide supply of materials.

Once again kudos to you on that board. It is truly a functional work of art.

Tue May 22, 2007 11:32 am
Report this post
minimum wage

Unread post Bamboo rules
Your board is sick. I love it. Do you think you could get an exact wight for it? don't they sell thay ply in 8' sheets? Can you please post the second you surf it. Extremely curious

Tue May 22, 2007 12:00 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
sage

Unread post 
That bamboo looks siiiiiiick, and that half moon tail looks really cool, I wonder how it would ride. I'll definitely consider bamboo for my next board. Are those fins bamboo too?

Tue May 22, 2007 7:47 pm
Report this post
Site Admin

Unread post 
Petaluma you really struck a chord here. I'm loving this!

I'm sold on Bamboo now (still love cedar too). Plus it's so sustainable, grows like grass (actually it is a grass). And that tail idea is simply brilliant - I mean why the F not! Outside-the-box thinking bro, gotta love it.

So psyched!

So psyched in fact, that I edited and added this page to Wikipedia

Tue May 22, 2007 8:11 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
bB Moderator

Unread post 
AWESOME!

12-14 pounds, great job. love the half moon.

-jb

Tue May 22, 2007 10:37 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
sage

Unread post 
Goddamn!!!!!!!!!! your board looks incredible. The bamboo looks really slick. What wood did you use for the rail strips? Please post pics of the construction process if you have them.

Great job again!

Tue May 22, 2007 11:18 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
woodbutcher

Unread post 
Thank you so much for the STOKE!! You all just made my day! Rich...you rule for putting this up on wikipedia. Just awesome.

As for the questions:

product #

BP-1472A amber, flat grain
BP-1472N natural, flat grain

it's actually not 1ply, it is "solid"... which is even cooler.

Bamboo is so strong you definitely don't need 3 ply, though if you wanted to go in that direction, they do make 3 ply 1/4" standard plywood sized sheets which would allow you to make a bigger board. Pricey, though ($145 each).

My little 1/4x16x72 solid pieces cost $18 each and I needed three to build my board with a bunch left over to make the fins, which are also bamboo, planed down, super flexy and fun.

Come to think of it, I could have planed down the decking as well and probably still been okay with just a light epoxy glass.

I'm not sure about the weight. That <14# is my guess. I don't have a scale at home but maybe I can bring it up to work some day and give you the exact number. In any event it is much lighter than I thought it was gonna be.

Waiting for some waves up here in northern CA and the insane wind to die down (or at least turn offshore).

The keel and ribs are still marine ply, but I don't see why you couldn't use 100% bamboo. I didn't have enough to use it for the internal frame this time around but I'd be confident using it in the future. It works just like regular wood and the thickness is about the same as marine ply.

Do to length restrictions, the rails are mostly leftover redwood strips from my last board (9ft), although I did throw in a couple bamboo strips at the top where I didn't need it to run the full length and they worked fine.
And this length restriction would be non-issue if you got the big 8ft 3ply.

So basically this board is 85-90% bamboo, but if you got the big sheet you could make a 100% bamboo board.

And that is the real project for us all!!

Wed May 23, 2007 1:08 am
Report this post
woodbutcher

Unread post 
crispo wrote:
Aside from that do you have any tips on where to purchase good materials locally. I assume there must be many places to purchase marine ply, but maybe you have a local favorite for good quality material.

Hey!
Maybe I'll see you out at bolinas one day.
I got my marine ply from Healdsburg hardware. They've got some other nice wood as well. The benders I got from Lowes in cotati, but if you find another source around here, let me know.

But why not go down to south bay and build a 100% bamboo board!!

Good luck. And thanks for the tip on the store in windsor. I'll check it out.

Wed May 23, 2007 1:19 am
Report this post
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next